To provide our clients with plans and support to get the fastest health department approval possible.
What We Do
- Project consultation
- Design and specifications
- Plans for your local health department
- Advice and follow-up support
We’re Specialists: Commercial Kitchen Design is All We Do
It’s simple to understand what Northbay Restaurant Design does: we do one thing and do it well. We design plans for retail food establishments. This means we prepare restaurant floor plans, design food service vehicle layouts, develop commercial kitchen hood drawings and do whatever it takes to help you get your food facility plan approved by your local health department.
Unlike restaurant equipment supply companies, we do NOT sell equipment. You benefit because we:
- Focus strictly on the food facility plan so your local Environmental Health Services (EHS) department will approve it and issue your permit.
- Design a clean, effective and efficient plan that reflects your unique business and vision.
- Provide unbiased advice about food service equipment related to your plan before you buy it so you don’t waste money on the wrong product.
- Respond quickly and help you get open quickly. In most cases, we can conduct an on-site analysis within 48 hours and submit your plan to the health department within a week or less.
Meet the Northbay Restaurant Design Team
With over 40 years of combined experience, our owners have deep backgrounds in kitchen efficiency and flow. They have developed more than 400 successful commercial kitchen plans for San Francisco Bay Area restaurants over the past decade. (See our list of completed projects.)
Jim Winkel built a fledgling enterprise into a successful local equipment supplier rivaling established competitors in every way. He eventually sold the equipment business to Ritz Foods but retained the name to focus on commercial kitchen design and restaurant floor plans. Jim has also owned and operated his own restaurant, and is a master gourmet cook with extensive knowledge of an eclectic range of cuisines.
Stan Gardiner has over 35 years’ experience in the construction industry as a general contractor with specific experience building various franchise and pilot restaurant ventures in the Bay Area. For nearly two decades, Stan has been focusing on the design side of the business after taking extensive training in Computer Aided Drafting (CAD).
Jim and Stan have struck a rare, powerful working relationship and friendship in their 20 years together. Their collaboration provides customers with a depth of knowledge and experience unsurpassed in the industry coupled with unmatched customer service.